An year in soul, metal, Tagore and acoustic


An year in soul, metal, Tagore and acoustic

This year saw some fantastic music and also introduced some promising talents. Faizul Khan Tanim speaks to those who have not only made it to the top but are here to stay

2007 has been an eventful year of music- from the advent of the thrashers Power Surge to the soulful melody of Krishnakali to the creativite rendition of Tagore in Sahana’s vocals and the art of song-writing that Yaatri has introduced– it is needless to say that they have made their mark in the music industry, making this year’s music memorable.
While some of these artists have undoubtedly made a mark for years, others have just started their journey and hopefully, will go a long way.

Casting Tagore in a new light - Sahana Bajpaie
Through the use of a variety of instruments including the guitar and Esraaj, Sahana has reintroduced Tagore song and made it lovable to her generation. There is little that needs to be said about Sahana Bajpaie, who has had a life-long love for Rabindranath Tagore. The stunning singer in her raw and mesmerising voice has made her mark in the music industry for a while now.
Sine childhood, under the tutelage of her father who was a scholar of Tagore’s literature and music, Sahana found her own niche. She later moved to Santiniketan, and was trained in Indian classical and Tagore songs, under Swastika Mukherjee, Bijoy Sinha, and Chitra Roy. As a student, she regularly took part in theatre and dance productions of works by Tagore.
This year, in April, her album Notun Korey Pabo Boley, was a great success. Speaking of this album in an earlier interview, she explains, ‘The name came because I was singing contemporary renditions of old classic songs, always discovering more and more layers to the songs as I worked’.
She remains a humble singer even after all the adulation she has received. When asked about her achievement as a good musician, Sahana’s polite response was, ‘I am not originally a singer- I just sing because I love music’.

Bringing music of the sun– Krishnakali
Her songs represent sheer honesty and pure intimacy- desires that flame like sunlight. Indeed, Krishnakali’s song are purely, insanely, and intensely intimate. Hers are the kind of songs that does not shy away, rather they represents one’s true desires.
Although her mother was a government college teacher, and her childhood home in Khulna was filled with books, singer Krishnakali claims to be completely uneducated.
Her album, Shurje Badhi Basha (nesting in the sun), released on Pahela Baishakh this year, is a personal album for this singer. ‘It speaks of personal experiences from the different phases of my life and as well as things that girls like me went through,’ she says.
For music critics, her album got 10 out of 10 - a compilation of songs that only come rarely. The songs are very simple and easy to listen to, but added to the uncomplicated words, tunes, and vocals; ‘simplicity’ took a new meaning and became an ode of magnificence.
Although simple, the compositions have pleasantly surprising instrumental elements by renowned musician Ornob, which made it even more beautiful.
‘I cannot really define the genre of my music but I think it could be called Bani Prodhan Shongeet – lyrics-emphasised music as I always wanted my words to be heard,’ says Krishnakali. ‘The significant reason for my lyrics to be like this was actually because of the way I was brought up. The poetic attitude was the driving force for my lyrics and I tried to incorporate the emotions of the different phases of my life in to my words- that is how it became what I wanted it to be.’
When asked about the challenges she anticipates in 2008, she giggles like a little girl and says, ‘I think I need to fix my voice first and plus I think I have to rehearse more than ever. I have done couple of drama title tracks and sang in an orthodox love film and the style I followed is a lot different and experimental than my conventional way of singing. I am looking forward to do more such works.’

And the energy rush ison – Power Surge
Madness, mayhem and Thrash Metal- that’s what Power Surge has introduced. Their thrash and shrilled voice, hard hitting rebel lyrics have certainly made a mark this year.
This year’s DJuice DRockstar winner band Power Surge has made a formidable impression by winning a contest that was being viewed both by the mainstream and by the rock music crowd.
Through stage performances and grooming sessions of DRockstar contest conducted by Bangladesh Musical Bands’ Association (BAMBA) members, these boys have learnt to deliver power and energy, have learned to work with sound, and all other essentials to maximize their potential.
What the crowd now expects is an album that lives up to the expectations of the people. People seemed to like what these boys had to offer in the competition. Compositions were likeable; guitar riffs were bold, vocals likewise and the overall sound – simply tight with rock solid compositions.
They are expected to hit the studio soon and surely, the audience are waiting for good and fresh music- the music that made people vote them into winning.

The band Jaatri with a ‘Y’ - Yaatri
Although they agree about a little mishap which changed their band name to Yaatri, their impression remains irreplaceable. Yes, they have won hearts, from day one. Their image is synonymous with soft and expressive compositions and most importantly excellent lyrics with acoustic guitar work.
Starting from songs like Ak Paye Nupur, Akta Gopon Kotha up to their album songs and latest hit single Chetona- all their songs are soothing and simple heart rending.
To talk about the band one definitely has to emphasise their lyrics. They are one of the few bands to hit on the social issues, the biting elements of urban angst in our contemporary life and most importantly, they nail it with clarity and composure.
The lead vocalist Topu says, ‘I always wanted the acoustic guitar tone to be dominant in Yaatri’s compositions plus the style we play right now actually goes very well with my vocal presentation and since my lyrics are as equally important as the tunes, I want them to be heard’.
‘I used to be observant of the reality around me from my childhood and that is precisely the point from which I was inspired to write lyrics. They are very simply written and what interest me more is that it is about the little things that happen everyday’, Topu added.
As Yaatri explodes with all its lyrical splendour, 2008 is a challenging year. ‘We now have a strong fan base and I believe the level we have reached, it is not possible to come below that standard and we only need to excel. Musically, we want to incorporate more local and basic instruments and various traditional sounds in our compositions and bringing that to our fans is a promise,’ ended the smiling vocalist.

Comments

Unknown said…
ami krisnakalir Shurje Badhi Basha (nesting in the sun)sunechi. asadharon. krishnakalir sange jogajog korte chai.
debesh
debesh_sansriti@yahoo.co.in

Popular posts from this blog

Shahbagh Square, Dhaka, Bangladesh - from where the Revolutionary Inferno Ignited

50 Years of 007 - For your eyes only: Bond... James Bond!

A real life Din Badal - Banglalink's New Television Advertisement