Music- ‘impulsive and raw’ - Balam


Music- ‘impulsive and raw’

The music sensation Balam, who continues to create new tunes and medley for music lovers, speaks of his passion, his work that began a decade ago and plans for creating more music in an interview with Faizul Khan Tanim

photo by Momena Jalil

His signature style of combining eastern and western fusion incorporated with humming tunes has indeed won hearts and opened a new dimension to upcoming artists across the country. On the spring afternoon that I met this versatile and talented artist, Balam, in his studio, he was busy working on a new composition— playing with organ, piano and string tones.
Needless to say, like always, the sound that he was creating before my eyes was fresh, elusive and mystic. With passage of time, we can safely say that Balam is one of those artists who has brought unique musical perspective to the electro pop genre and captured attention of critics and fans.
Although his sudden shift from rock to pop may have disappointed his core fans, it has nonetheless made him reach a larger audience. It actually increased his fans and his recordings sound better and have sold more than most people would imagine. His role in the musical industry has been nothing less than significant. The producer and the singer has appeared in countless concerts and CDs and gained immense popularity. But his popularity has in no way diminished his versatility and rare talent.
Back in the old days..
It is hard to forget the immortal Warfaze song Mone pore jai amar koishor- this brilliant composition was actually done by Balam, who was then a class eight student. At that age, Balam had learnt the rare art of experimenting through strings and composing new sounds and Mone Pore was just the beginning for him.
‘Babna bhai is my cousin and that is how I got myself introduced to Warfaze and amongst a lot of my tunes, the band picked up Koishor’s composition and added it as a song in their album. And I must say, that was a huge morale boost for a kid like me,’ says Balam, with a hint of nostalgia.
Interestingly, a lot of Balam’s music enthusiasts don’t know that Balam was in a band where he worked with now musical icon Habib, who was the keyboardist of the group in the mid 90’s.
‘My first band was Renegades which was formed after my SSC examination in 1995. We used to compose pop/rock mellow songs and the band actually formed just from random musical jamming. All the members used to live in the same area and those of us who shared a common taste, actually went on for musical addas. It wasn’t all that serious even,’ he remembers fondly.
‘However, like many others, we also got our first break when we became the second band in the first Cocacola Band Music Awards in 1997. That was the beginning of our inspiration and especially, mine personally. We made an album in the end of 1995 called Phiriye Dao, which was released from a record label called Enteck. And very sadly, that album was recently re-released as it is, just the cover picture changed by the record label who bought Enteck, says Balam, while answering to a question about a re-made version of the album by Balam and Habib. ‘We did not make any re-make or remixed any songs. If there is such a rumour in the market, it is hundred percent false and we are thinking of taking legal actions,’ added Balam.
By the end of 1998, Balam joined the celebrated band, Warfaze. ‘That was like a whole new life again and I enjoyed being a part of that crew,’ he says laughing.
And today..
‘The moment I decided to quit bands and go solo, my feelings and work became more synonymous with the terms ‘freedom’ and ‘satisfaction’. Honestly, after my debut album Premshikari, which was a mixed compilation, my latest work – the self-titled album- became huge and that was so unexpected. I did not expect any results before six months but the appreciation I received, which was in less than three months, is amazing! My worst fear is that, a standard is now set and both music enthusiasts and critics will be eagerly waiting to review my next album strongly,’ adds Balam.
His latest album was not very appreciated by his rock fans, however he believes that, the second compilation got a universal character. ‘It is my personal belief that a musician should not stay rooted to a single genre and should constantly experiment to a level which is acceptable,’ said Balam.
He composed jingles for countless television commercials and became very successful. ‘I did the Banglalink Din Bodol series, Navana Real Estate – which was my first work. Now I have plenty of offers, but the first experience of creating music for a very short duration was more challenging than fulfilling. But now it seems I’m doing well and best of all…enjoying,’ adds Balam with a smirk.
Tomorrow
Balam is coming out with his new album, the third one which will feature his sister Julie, who already is a popular artist collaborating with Habib in Moyna Go. The album will be out in Pahela Baishakh – on the occasion of the first day of the Bangla calendar.
‘My latest songs will have some structural change, musically different which will suit Julie’s style of singing. And I will definitely give preference to creating ‘soothing music’…music which will give my fans audible pleasure and for a long time.’
While wrapping up the interview, this creative musician speaks of his belief- living in the moment. ‘I will definitely continue doing music and will compose tracks — what ever comes to my mind in an impulsive manner. That would capture the very essence of the raw appeal I like. The album is coming out from Sangeeta record label and I hope everyone will enjoy listening to it.’

Comments

Tanim, thanks to you for putting up interesting topics on your blog. Music-blogs-news are what connect us to our home. Living abroad sometimes feels more like a mental trauma than anything else.
parry said…
Balammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i love you...you are the best singer ever....my favorite...i love all of your songs...i wish i can meet you someday..but i will i hope....love the way u play guitar
THE BESTEST SINGER EVER!!!
Anonymous said…
hey...........balam!!!!! i like you.........n i love your all songs.i think you are a best singer in world.you know!you are a my favorite singer.......all the best!!!!!!!!( arakash@dhaka.net )
Anonymous said…
hey...........balam!!!!! i like you.........n i love your all songs.i think you are a best singer in world.you know!you are a my favorite singer.......all the best!!!!!!!!( arakash@dhaka.net )
Unknown said…
Hey
thanx for da blog, balam brought a new taste in bd music for me and i luv him for that!!!!Balam,all da best & hope to hear more new songs soon!!!
Unknown said…
hey balam....ami tomake sweden a ante chai.tomar ki interest ase?
Unknown said…
hey balam tumi jodi sweden a ase gan gate chat tahole amar sathe contact koro...
nasimul_islam@hotmail.com
Unknown said…
hey balam tumi jodi sweden a ase gan gate chat tahole amar sathe contact koro...
nasimul_islam@hotmail.com
mhreza said…
Thanks. I like BALAM and all his song. Ami asha korbo balam aaro valo gaan amader upohar debe. Ami je tar koto boro fan ta bole bujhano jabe na.Best of luck.
mhreza said…
I want know more information about BALAM. Such as his full address,his marrige stutas,his next album...etc
Anonymous said…
thanks !! very helpful post!
Anonymous said…
What's up, yes this paragraph is truly fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging. thanks.
My web site > perfumes

Popular posts from this blog

Shahbagh Square, Dhaka, Bangladesh - from where the Revolutionary Inferno Ignited

50 Years of 007 - For your eyes only: Bond... James Bond!

A real life Din Badal - Banglalink's New Television Advertisement